How do you implement a loop in SQL query?
I am detailing answer on ways to achieve different types of loops in SQL server.
- FOR Loop. DECLARE @cnt INT = 0; WHILE @cnt < 10 BEGIN PRINT ‘Inside FOR LOOP’; SET @cnt = @cnt + 1; END; PRINT ‘Done FOR LOOP’;
- DO.. WHILE Loop. …
- REPEAT..UNTIL Loop.
Can I create a loop in SQL?
In SQL Server, there is no FOR LOOP. However, you simulate the FOR LOOP using the WHILE LOOP.
How do I run a SQL query in a for loop?
Running a Query Inside the Loop
- WHILE @Counter <= @MaxOscars.
- SET @NumFilms =
- SELECT COUNT(*)
- FROM tblFilm.
- WHERE FilmOscarWins = @Counter.
- SET @Counter += 1.
What are 3 types of loops in SQL?
Controlling Loop Iterations: LOOP and EXIT Statements. LOOP statements execute a sequence of statements multiple times. There are three forms of LOOP statements: LOOP , WHILE-LOOP , and FOR-LOOP . For a description of the syntax of the LOOP statement, see “LOOP Statements”.
How do I create a list in SQL?
You can create lists of SQL Query or Fixed Data values . In the Data Model components pane, click List of Values and then click Create new List of Values. Enter a Name for the list and select a Type.
Do WHILE loop in SQL procedure?
The WHILE statement defines a set of statements to be executed until a condition that is evaluated at the beginning of the WHILE loop is false. The while-loop-condition (an expression) is evaluated before each iteration of the loop.
What is a nested loop give an example?
A nested loop is a (inner) loop that appears in the loop body of another (outer) loop. The inner or outer loop can be any type: while, do while, or for. For example, the inner loop can be a while loop while an outer loop can be a for loop.
How do I create a stored procedure?
How to Create a Stored Procedure
- In Object Explorer, connect to an instance of Database Engine and then expand that instance.
- Expand Databases, expand the AdventureWorks2012 database, and then expand Programmability.
- Right-click Stored Procedures, and then click New Stored Procedure.
How do you use a while loop in PL SQL?
Example of PL/SQL While Loop
- i INTEGER := 1;
- WHILE i <= 10 LOOP.
- i := i+1;
- END LOOP;
Which is better cursor or while loop in SQL Server?
While SQL While loop is quicker than a cursor, reason found that cursor is defined by DECLARE CURSOR. Every emphasis of the loop will be executed inside system memory and consuming required server assets.
Is SQL a programming language?
SQL stands for Structured Query Language, which is a programming language used to communicate with relational databases. … Despite its critics, SQL has become the standard language for querying and manipulating data stored in a relational database.
How do I create a foreach loop in SQL Server?
1. create a temp table and put the records you want to iterate in there 2. use WHILE @@ROWCOUNT <> 0 to do the iterating 3. to get one row at a time do, SELECT TOP 1 <fieldnames> b. save the unique ID for that row in a variable 4.